i can haz .NET

a Run Through the Jungle of Software Development and Unrelated Sagas

QuickBooks has encountered a problem and needs to close.

with 30 comments

If they keep this up it will apply to the whole company .image

This happened to me after successfully using it in Vista for almost a whole week. It was nigh-on impossible to find a solution to this so I hope Google has been kind to you today and this helps. If not, abuse them. It won’t fix anything but they thoroughly deserve it.

This is (if you’re lucky) an easy fix. It is all about how QuickBooks uses Internet Exploder, sorry – Internet Explorer as its internal browser. QB, apparently, is so shoddily coded that it expects IE’s security to grant permissions for all its hacks. Here’s how to let it do that…

1. Open Internet Explorer
  2. Go to the Tools Menu
  3. Click Internet Options
  4. Click the Security tab
  5. In the Security level area, click on Custom Level
  6. I set the level to Medium-High (Default)
  7. Click on the Reset button on the bottom right
  8. Click ok on everything on your way out.

I have had QuickBooks working on windows XP, Vista, and even Windows Server 2008 with only the usual level of issues. It also seems to work ok with Internet Exploder 7 & 8 Beta 2. It uses Internet Exploder even if you have another browser set as the default. I use Firefox.

I have also heard reports that you need to turn the User Account Control off in Vista (in the Windows Security Center).

For the technically-minded – the shoddy code in QuickBooks generates an Access Violation Error which is the programming equivalent of a knockback. The implication there is that the program’s approach is also the equivalent of behavior that “had it coming”. When I searched the QuickBooks support (LOL) forum for "Access Violation" I get 9359 responses. I gave up in there before I looked elsewhere for this answer, ironically from a user in their forum. I think they might have big a problem there. If Google brought you here then QuickBooks is still living in denial. Personally I think they spend all of their money on marketing and bugger-all on development or User eXperience testing

I’m not a fan of QuickBooks but it seems like the lesser of many evils at the present time. Just remember – MYOB sucks worse and so does doing it all by hand.

About these ads

Written by CADbloke

October 24, 2008 at 9:20 am

30 Responses

1. I’ve stopped trying to use any standalone accounting system since I found Saasu.
    I love it. It’s web based, in the could, Ajax, .Net, WebService access to your data, multi-user and most importantly: human-readable and human-usable. Oh .. and cheap!
    Give it a try and you’ll never look back.
    Shameless plug: you can use Corneliu as Voucher Code :)
    Regards,
    Corneliu.

Corneliu

October 24, 2008 at 10:51 am

2. Thank you VERY much for your advise, I searched high and low to resolve this issue and your advise hit the nail on the head.

Cheers!

Matthew

Matthew

January 6, 2009 at 9:22 am

3. Hey – THANKS SOOOOOOOOO MUCH. QB support and their help pages are appalling !!! I have been getting the “Access Voilation error since switching to Vista. I had my Explorer settings changed to match what I had in XP, couldnt work out why QB was crashing until I saw your answer !!!

Thanks again !

Adam

January 14, 2009 at 8:50 am

4. Thank you very much for this info! I’ve hated quickbooks ever since I got Vista, but at least I had it working… suddenly this morning, not working. Couldn’t figure it out till I found this page. The other day I did some stuff with Java in IE, and wasn’t even aware that it would affect Quickbooks.
    Quickbooks sucks!!

Thanks!

Trevor

January 31, 2009 at 1:00 am

5. Help! I’m running QB Premier 2004. It has been working for more than six months and suddenly last week it stopped opening and it’s giving me the error you show above. I tried doing what you said (even though I run it on Win XP) and it did nothing… :S Unfortunately, due to lack of experience with this software…I NEVER BACKED UP, so now if I can’t fix this a lost all my data :(. Any suggestions on how I could fix it? Please, any help is appreciated!!!!!!! Thanks!!!!!

Mariana

February 19, 2009 at 7:35 am

6. Mariana: Your Quickbooks data more-than-likely resides in the program installation folder (probably called “intuit”) on the computer it is installed on. Copy everything in this folder and pay attention to files that have been updated recently, or since the original installation. You could try installing it on a different computer & copying the recent-ish files to the folder on the new computer.

Apart from that, I can’t help you much – I’m not a Quickbooks expert by any means. You should go find one, asap. I wouldn’t try any self-help cures here if you have no backups – get an expert.

Everyone Else: Thanks. I didn’t discover the cure, I found it (eventually) on Google. I wrote it up in the fond hope that a search engine would find it for you with a whole lot less frustration than I had.

cadbloke

February 19, 2009 at 7:49 am

7. has anybody found the solution to ” quickbooks has encountered a problem”. Quickbooks technical support don’t seem to know despite me spending hours talking to them . Quickbooks 2008 pro
    Mike

Mike

May 19, 2009 at 3:31 pm

• Well, if the solution here didn’t work, Google didn’t work & Quicken didn’t work, uninstall Quickbooks. You could try running it in a virtual machine so it can’t kill anything, other than itself – that’s what I will do with Windows 7. You should seriously consider filing a complaint with the government consumer watchdog. I would have if the solution here didn’t work for me.

I’m going with Saasu at the end of this financial year. Quicken’s attitude sucks. End of story.

cadbloke

May 19, 2009 at 3:40 pm

8. Thanks from here, too. Honestly, another wasted hour. Those @#%!s at Intuit should boil in oil for this one. I’ve hated using the goddamn software for 10 years. The fact that no one has knocked them off their perch is astounding.

David

June 2, 2009 at 8:44 am

9. A few things make me laugh about this post
    1. It is by far the most visited post on my blog. :?
    2. It ranks 3rd on a Google search of the fault description (the page title)
    3. The 2 Quicken answers that out-Google it are wrong. They don’t fix the problem

I just thought I’d share that with you. Hope it helps

cadbloke

July 6, 2009 at 9:57 pm

10. “Sucks” is too kind a word for what Intuit has done to its customers. For way over a year now, they have heard their customer rail about the “new” online banking interface only to ignore them. My guess is that they will try (it will be try in my case) to sell us the new & improved interface (old version) in QB2010. I’m not buying. I’ll get back to spreadsheets first.

t mattox

July 28, 2009 at 1:08 am

• All I used QB for this year was typing invoices – the rest I did in Excel – it was quicker and far more understandable. I’m waiting another year or so until the SAAS options mature. See my blog post at http://icanhazdot.net/2009/07/04/what-i-want-from-accounting-software/ for my thoughts on those. They are the way of the future … the very-near future.

cadbloke

July 29, 2009 at 8:27 am

• Actually, I think the future is already here. SaaS is the only thing I’d even begin to consider, given the need I have for multiple people to be involved, plus working across several different computers, traveling, etc. And the market has really started hitting some high notes this year. After a couple different experiments with some solutions, I finally settled on WorkingPoint for my business, and it’s the one I often recommend my other small business client explore, too. It’s been an awesome find.

Alora

September 2, 2009 at 3:50 am

11. Thank you very much for posting this information, after struggling all day to get Quickbooks up and running again your instructions fixed the problem immediately.

Sandy

October 4, 2009 at 1:53 pm

12. just another HUGE THANK YOU for this!!

Jeff

November 17, 2009 at 9:15 am

13. Huge thank you – just been on the phone to Intuit, only to be told they would charge me either £35 one off fee, or £10.50 per month for technical advice!!!! I’ve only had this version for 3 mths yet they expect you to pay for advice when it goes wrong??? Thanks again – you are a star!!

Marie

January 12, 2010 at 1:48 am

14. I will skip all lyric! But! Good Bless You my friend for this advice!!!!!!!!! :-)))) Many Thanks!

Elie

April 20, 2010 at 1:11 pm

15. Worked for me in WIndows 7. QB was fine for a week then crashed. Spent a day uninstalling and reinstalling without success. Was about to restore system. Then found this.

Thank you.

G Smith

April 23, 2010 at 7:57 pm

16. Brilliant! Thank you. Intuit told me to buy the 2010 version and offered C$10 off. Yeah right. Thank you thank you.

GG

May 8, 2010 at 1:00 pm

17. Thanks a BUNCH is all I can say. Why they do not have this info on their support site I cannot begin to guess.

Charles

October 13, 2010 at 3:25 am

18. Hi,

I just want to mention that your advice worked. I recently installed Quickbooks Premier Multicurrency 2007 on a new Windows Vista 32 bit machine to work on some old files, and your internet explorer fix worked. I can’t believe it… By the way it was Internet Explorer 8.

Pierre

April 22, 2011 at 5:17 am

19. because it has problem software and program have already .

chanrong

May 25, 2011 at 2:26 pm

20. Thanks for this fix – worked like a charm in July 2011!

Simon

July 3, 2011 at 5:42 am

21. OMG Thank You. its WOKING!!!!!!!!!

Zone

August 26, 2011 at 11:41 pm

22. Great find, thank you !!!

SuperTech

January 13, 2012 at 3:49 am

23. Many thanks – worked fine for me. Just glad someone is on the ball – which is more than I can say for Quicken. Makes you wonder what they do with all these reports that I’m sure many of us sent off when it happened!

Rob

February 1, 2012 at 8:59 am

24. Im using QB Pro 2012 and this solution didn’t work for me. I still can’t get it working after trying repair, then unintalled and reinstalled and nothing has fixed the problem. I spent 4 hours in the past 3 days on the phone with tech support and still nothing. What now???

Lucia

February 23, 2012 at 10:11 am

25. Life Saver!

Jan

May 23, 2012 at 2:16 am

26. I never use IE but had tweaked the settings to recreate the problem a client was experiencing with a web design. How would I have ever considered that my changes to IE settings would be the cause of our Quickbooks Accountant 2006 suddenly not working on Win 7 unless I had read this very helpful advice?

Keith

August 7, 2012 at 7:08 pm

27. Cheers!! Your assistance is greatly appreciated. I had fiddled with ActiveX in IE security, and would never have figured that was the cause of my QB problem if I hadn’t found your explanation.
    Thankyou.

Brian

July 3, 2013 at 11:49 pm

Got an opinion or idea? Let's hear it:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: